2.European Building Construction Illustrated 1st Edition
The first European edition of Francis DK Ching’s classic visual guide to the basics of building construction.
For nearly four decades, the US publication Building Construction Illustrated has offered an outstanding introduction to the principles of building construction. This new European edition focuses on the construction methods most commonly used in Europe, referring largely to UK Building Regulations overlaid with British and European, while applying Francis DK Ching’s clear graphic signature style. It provides a coherent and essential primer, presenting all of the basic concepts underlying building construction and equipping readers with useful guidelines for approaching any new materials or techniques they may encounter.
European Building Construction Illustrated provides a comprehensive and lucid presentation of everything from foundations and floor systems to finish work. Laying out the material and structural choices available, it provides a full understanding of how these choices affect a building′s form and dimensions. Complete with more than 1000 illustrations, the book moves through each of the key stages of the design process, from site selection to building components, mechanical systems and finishes.
- Illustrated throughout with clear and accurate drawings that effectively communicate construction processes and materials
- Provides an overview of the mainstream construction methods used in Europe
- Based around the UK regulatory framework, the book refers to European level regulations where appropriate.
- References leading environmental assessment methods of BREEAM and LEED, while outlining the Passive House Standard
- Includes emerging construction methods driven by the sustainability agenda, such as structural insulated panels and insulating concrete formwork
- Features a chapter dedicated to construction in the Middle East, focusing on the Gulf States
3.Building Construction Illustrated 5th Edition
The classic visual guide to the basics of building construction, now with a 3D digital building model for interactive learning
For over three decades, Building Construction Illustrated has offered an outstanding introduction to the principles of building construction. This new edition of the revered classic remains as relevant as ever, providing the latest information in Francis D.K. Ching's signature style. Its rich and comprehensive approach clearly presents all of the basic concepts underlying building construction.
New to this edition are digital enhancements delivered as an online companion to the print edition and also embedded in e-book editions. Features include a 3D model showing how building components come together in a final project.
- llustrated throughout with clear and accurate drawings that present the state of the art in construction processes and materials
- Updated and revised to include the latest knowledge on sustainability, incorporation of building systems, and use of new materials
- Contains archetypal drawings that offer clear inspiration for designers and drafters
- Reflects the 2012 International Building Codes and 2012 LEED system
This new edition of Building Construction Illustrated remains as relevant as ever, with the most current knowledge presented in a rich and comprehensive manner that does not disappoint.
4.Design Drawing 2nd Edition
Get the completely revised edition to mastering the visual language of architecture.
In his distinctive graphic style, world-renowned author and architecture educator Francis D.K. Ching takes us on another exciting journey through the process of creation. In Design Drawing, Second Edition, he unmasks the basic cognitive processes that drive visual perception and expression, incorporating observation, memory, and rendering into a creative whole. This edition unites imaginative vision with fundamental architectural principles to cover the traditional basics of drawing, including line, shape, tone, and space. Guiding the reader step-by-step through the entire drawing process, Design Drawing also examines different types of drawing techniques such as multiview, paraline, and perspective drawings -- and how they can be applied to achieve stunning results. In addition, this edition:
- Goes beyond basic drawing books—Ching not only covers the principles, media, and techniques of drawing, but also places these within the context of what and why designers draw.
- Features more than 1,500 hand-rendered drawings—beautiful illustrations that reinforce the concepts and lessons of each chapter.
- Includes a supplemental CD-ROM—viewers will gain a greater appreciation of the techniques presented in this book through the power of animation, video, and 3D models. Twelve new modules are included, as is a video of the author demonstrating freehand techniques in a step-by-step manner.
For professional architects, designers, fine artists, illustrators, teachers and students alike, this all-in-one package is both an effective tool and an outstanding value, demonstrating concepts and techniques in a visually stimulating format that transends comparable works in the field.
5.Interior Design Illustrated 4th Edition
The bestselling guide to interior design, updated with new code and technology
Interior Design Illustrated is the definitive guide to design for interior spaces. Richly illustrated in author Francis Ching’s signature style, this book introduces complex design concepts in a visually stunning format; from defining the space and using the elements of design, to planning building systems and incorporating sustainable materials, this volume embodies the idea that beauty and function are not separate entities, but two parts of a whole. This new fourth edition has been updated to reflect the latest building codes and design practices, with discussion of new materials related to acoustics, lighting, and sustainable furnishings. Renewed attention to sustainability includes new information on energy conservation, design for longevity and adaptive reuse of existing buildings, as well as an updated discussion on LED lighting, workplace design, use of color, and computer modeling software to provide a well-rounded view of how interior design firms are working today.
This classic text brings the elements and principles of design to life, giving students the practical skills they need to transition from idea to concept.
- Understand the latest building codes and how to integrate them into your design
- Explore new advances in materials, lighting, and wireless technology
- Design from a perspective of sustainability, longevity, and energy efficiency
- Delve into BIM, including software for modeling lighting, acoustics, and more
Interior designers work at the intersection of aesthetics, functionality, regulations, accessibility, sustainability, and technology. There’s no one formula for getting it right, only an eye trained by experience, based on a mastery of design fundamentals. Interior Design Illustrated begins laying that foundation, guided by a leading global authority in the field.
6.Introduction to Architecture 1st Edition
A survey of the built environment distills the work of legendary author and illustrator Francis D. K. Ching into a single volume
Introduction to Architecture presents the essential texts and drawings of Francis D. K. Ching for those new to architecture and design. With his typical highly graphic approach, this is the first introductory text from Ching that surveys the design of spaces, buildings, and cities. In an easy to understand format, readers will explore the histories and theories of architecture, design elements and process, and the technical aspects of the contemporary profession of architecture.
The book explains the experience and practice of architecture and allied disciplines for future professionals, while those who love the beauty of architecture drawing will delight in the gorgeous illustrations included.
- Overview of the issues and practices of architecture in an all-in-one introductory text
- Includes new chapters and introductory essays by James Eckler, and features more than 1,000 drawings throughout
- Professor Ching is the bestselling author of numerous books on architecture and design, all published by Wiley; his works have been translated into 16 languages and are regarded as classics for their renowned graphical presentation
For those pursuing a career in architecture or anyone who loves architectural design and drawing, Introduction to Architecture presents a beautifully illustrated and comprehensive guide to the subject.