Contractual Procedures in the Construction Industry 7th edition aims to provide students with a comprehensive understanding of the subject, and reinforces the changes that are taking place within the construction industry. The book looks at contract law within the context of construction contracts, it examines the different procurement routes that have evolved over time and the particular aspects relating to design and construction, lean methods of construction and the advantages and disadvantages of PFI/PPP and its variants. It covers the development of partnering, supply chain management, design and build and the way that the clients and professions have adapted to change in the procurement of buildings and engineering projects.
This book is an indispensable companion for students taking undergraduate courses in Building and Surveying, Quantity Surveying, Construction Management and Project Management. It is also suitable for students on HND/C courses in Building and Construction Management as well as foundation degree courses in Building and Construction Management.
Key features of the new edition include:
- A revised chapter covering the concept of value for money in line with the greater emphasis on added value throughout the industry today.
- A new chapter covering developments in information technology applications (building information modelling, blockchains, data analytics, smart contracts and others) and construction procurement.
- Deeper coverage of the strategies that need to be considered in respect of contract selection.
- Improved discussion of sustainability and the increasing importance of resilience in the built environment.
- Concise descriptions of some the more important construction case laws.
Table of Contents:
List of Figures
List of Tables
List of Boxes
Table of Statutes
Part 1 Contract Law
1. The English Legal System
2. Legal Aspects of Contracts
3. Discharge of Contracts
4. Remedies for Breach of Contract
5. Settlement of Disputes
Part 2 Procurement
6. Forms of Contract
7. Contract Strategy
8. Contract Procurement
9. Contract Selection
10. Contract Documents
11. Design and Build
12. Procurement in the 21st century
13. Lean construction
15. Value for Money
Part 3 Process and Parties
16. Partnering and SCM
17. The Construction Process
18. Parties involved in the construction industry
19. Site communications
20. Constructing Excellence in the Built Environment
21. Health, Safety & Welfare
22. Sustainable construction
24. Carbon Pricing
Part 4 Principles of Construction Contract
29. Works by other parties
30. Injury and Insurance
32. Financial matters
33. General clauses
Cases of interest
Contract and Procurement web sites
Allan Ashworth is Visiting Professor in Quantity Surveying at the University of Malaya, Malaysia. He was recently a Visiting Professor at the University of Salford, UK, where he was involved with the work of the Centre for Education in the Built Environment.
Srinath Perera is the Chair and Professor of Built Environment and Construction Management at Western Sydney University, Sydney, Australia. He is also the Director of Centre for Smart Modern Construction (c4SMC). He is a Chartered Quantity Surveyor and Member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) with over 25 years' experience in both industry and academia. He is a Fellow of both the Royal Society of NSW and the Australian Institute of Building and is also a member of the Australian Institute of Quantity Surveyors.
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.